Sunday, January 15, 2012

Red Beans and Rice

This recipe is one I adapted from Emeril. We loved it. It was very easy to do. I soaked the beans over night and then put everything in the crock pot in the morning. When I got home from work all I had to make was the rice.
Red Beans and Rice
1 chopped onion
3 chopped celery
2 T. minced garlic
1 pkg. New Orleans style (andouille) sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 bay leaves
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. thyme
1/2 t. cayenne (use less to make it less spicy or more to make it hotter)
1/2 t. salt
ham hocks (I also added smoked pork chop bones- when we had them earlier in the week I cut the bones off before I served them, knowing they would be good seasoning here)
1 lb. dried red beans
32 oz. chicken stock
4 c. water
3 T. chicken noodle base
white rice
First, soak the beans in water overnight. Rinse in the morning. Add to a large crock pot. Put everything else, (except for the rice) in the crock pot. Cook on low all day. When you get home from work, remove the ham hocks, bones and bay leaves. Take a cup of the beans out and mash them. Return them to the crock pot and stir them in. Cook your rice and serve the beans on top of the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment