Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lemon Cupcakes

These cupcakes are pretty easy to do, but they are impressive. They taste good too. I'm sorry about the photo, I had to take it at work with my cell phone. I forgot to do it at home. The cupcakes almost didn't make it to work. When I was leaving my house, I tried unsuccessfully to balance two plates of cupcakes on one arm and ended up with a big frosting mess on the floor by the door. Oh well. At least one plate survived.
Lemon Cupcakes
one box of lemon cake mix
small box of instant lemon pudding
1 c. of sour cream
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. water
4 eggs
can of lemon pie filling
1 stick of butter
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
juice of one lemon
zest of one lemon
additional milk as needed
Mix the cake mix, pudding, sour cream, oil, water and eggs. Line two 12 hole muffin tins with cupcake liners and spray with Pam. Fill with batter. I use a scoop to evenly distribute the batter. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until done. Let cool. Cut a small hole in the center of the cupcake. You can use a knife, your finger, a teaspoon, a small melon baller, just see what works best for you. Then put the lemon pie filling in a large ziplock bag. Cut off the corner of the bag to make your own decorating bag. Squeeze lemon pie filling into each of the holes, but don't over fill. Next mix the butter, powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice. Add milk if it needs to be softer. Spread carefully on the cupcakes or use a decorator bag and squeeze in a pretty design. I spread the frosting and had to be careful not to get the pie filling mixed in with the frosting. I used my cookie dough scoop to put a ball of frosting on the cupcake then I smashed it down and spread it out. I used the leftover pie filling to put a dot of yellow in the middle of the cupcakes. You could also add yellow food coloring to the frosting if you want it to look more lemony.

No comments:

Post a Comment