Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chocolate Sheet Cake

I have posted this recipe before, but it's so good I thought it deserved a repeat. I made this for my husband's birthday. He always requests a chocolate sheet cake. I made it in a 9 x 13 pan, so it is thicker than a traditional sheet cake. He doesn't like nuts, so it is nutless. If I was taking this somewhere I would add some pecan halves to the top of the cake. If you are looking for a traditional, funeral dinner type, chocolate sheet cake, this is it.
Chocolate Sheet Cake
cake:
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, just add a 1T. of vinegar to your regular milk to substitute)
2 eggs
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 c. oil
1 c. water
1/4 c. cocoa
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon

frosting:
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. cocoa
1/4 c. milk plus 2 T milk
1 t. vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar

Grease and flour a sheet cake pan. Set oven to 400. Mix dry ingredients. In a large bowl mix all the wet ingredients. Gradually add the dry to the wet. Bake for 20 minutes (or until done in the center). (If you bake in a 9 x 13 pan it will take longer).

For the frosting, in a small saucepan melt the butter. Add in cocoa, milk and vanilla. Boil briefly and stir frequently so it doesn't burn or stick to the pan. Remove from heat and add in the powdered sugar. Pour over cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment