Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chicken Fried Steak and Whatever Bars

If you've never made homemade chicken fried steak before, it is pretty easy to do. This recipe is a good one. After you make it once, you can adjust the seasonings as you want to. I think next time I will add a teaspoon of garlic powder.

Chicken Fried Steak
4 large cube steaks
1 egg
3/4 milk
1 1/2 c. flour
1 T. Lawry's seasoning salt
1 t. pepper
1 t. salt
1 t. thyme
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
In a small bowl mix the egg and milk. In another bowl mix the rest of the ingredients (except for the steak). Dip the steak in the wet bowl, then dip it in the dry bowl. In a large frying pan, heat a 1/2 inch of oil to medium. When it is hot, add the steaks and cook 3 minutes or so for each side until crispy. If you aren't sure if they are done, cut into it and check that it is not pink. I serve these with mashed potatoes and white gravy, but it's also good as a sandwich.

For dessert...
These are easy to make and really good. I love a cheesecake brownie- I used to always order those from the cookie store at the mall. (I think my sweet tooth has gotten worse as I've gotten older because now I order the Double Doozies-chocolate chip sandwich cookies filled with butter cream. Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it, but yum!)

Whatever Bars
1st layer
1 devils food cake mix
1 stick of butter melted
1 egg
2nd layer
8 oz cream cheese
1 stick of butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
1 c. chocolate chips
Mix the cake mix, eggs and butter. Press into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan. Mix the cream cheese and butter. Beat in the sugar and vanilla. When fluffy, beat in the eggs. Then mix in the chocolate chips. Pour over the brownie layer. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Let cool before cutting. Refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment