Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fruit Salad, Broccoli Salad and Jimmy Carter Cake

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I was out of town last weekend and this weekend was crazy busy. Hopefully things will start getting back to a normal routine this week.

First, this weekend I made a yummy fruit salad that was super easy to put together. This is one that can easily be adapted to your own tastes by adding more or less of a fruit or adding in different kinds of fruit. I think next time I will slice up a kiwi for the color.

Fruit Salad
1 lime
3 bananas
1 pint of strawberries
1 bag of grapes
1 large can of mandarin oranges
Squeeze the lime juice into a large bowl. Slice up the banana and thoroughly coat the bananas in the lime juice (to help with the browning). Then slice the strawberries and grapes and add to the bowl. Finally, drain the mandarin oranges and add. Toss the mix and refrigerate until ready to serve.

I also made Deep South Dish's Jimmy Carter Cake. It was delicious. It is a peanut butter chocolate layered dessert. I recommend if you make this you listen to her advice and make 1 and 1/2 times the crust mix it calls for. Also, when I made it I used Fisher's Nut Topping. Since half my family doesn't like nuts, I just pressed in a sprinkling of nuts on one side of the crust and then sprinkled nuts on the top of one side. That way I didn't have to chop any.


Lastly, I made Southern Plate's Broccoli Salad. It was really good, but I would cut the vinegar down to 1/3 of cup the next time I make it. I cut the amount of raisins in half, per her advice, and thought that was plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment