Sunday, March 13, 2011

Breakfast Casserole and Cookie Bars

Even though the past two weeks have been super busy, I did bake something last week. I just couldn't post it on here because it wasn't photo worthy. I made a really good blueberry bundt cake, but for some reason the cake part of it looked green when it came out. It looked kind of gross (but I ate it anyway).

This weekend was much better. I make this casserole regularly. I got the recipe at work. You can adapt it however you want. I've used bacon instead of sausage. I've used mushrooms instead of meat. You can add green onions, whatever. If I am in a hurry, I will even use already cooked bacon or brown and serve sausages cut up. Also, you can mix this the night before and stick it in the oven in the morning. It does take a little longer to cook if it's been refrigerated.

Breakfast Casserole
Dozen eggs
1 roll of sausage browned
16 oz cottage cheese
2 c. shredded cheese
1/2 small box of frozen spinach thawed and drained
salt and pepper
Mix all of the above. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake for one hour at 350 degrees.

Yesterday I made these cookie bars. I tend to make bars more than cookies because I don't have the time to stand in the kitchen swapping out pans of cookies. These are a pecan, butterscotch, chocolate chip cookie. As long as you keep the same proportion of chips and nuts, you can swap out whatever you want and customize this recipe too. These are kind of gooey when they first come out of the oven, but after sitting overnight they are perfect.

Cookie Bars
2/3 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
3/4 t. salt
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 t. butter rum extract
3 eggs
2 1/4 t. baking powder
2 3/4 c. flour
1 c. butterscotch chips
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped pecans
Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs and extracts. Then add in baking powder and flour. Fold in chips and nuts. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 32 minutes. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment