Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Apricot Squares

I've been gone for awhile because my oven has been out of commission. Luckily it just needed a small part that my husband could replace. I had a hard time deciding what to make after being without baking for so long. Since we are in the middle of painting the downstairs bathroom and bedroom and tiling the kitchen floor, I decided to do something fast and easy. I started with these Apricot Squares. I used apricot, but you could use any kind of preserves. I want to try apple butter next time.

Apricot Squares
1 cake mix (like butter, vanilla, or yellow)
1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 t. almond extract
2 1/2 c. quick oats
1 1/2 c. apricot preserves mixed with 1 T. water
1 c. powdered sugar
1 t. almond extract
1 T. milk, half and half or cream
Melt the butter. Add in the extract. Then mix in the cake mix and the oats. Press half of the mix into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Then spread the preserves on top. Sprinkle the other half of the oat mixture on top. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. After they cool, mix the powdered sugar, extract and milk into a glaze. Drizzle over the top of the bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment