Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Dinner: chicken strips, macaroni and cheese and chocolate cake

Instead of buying my husband a present for Valentine's Day, I decided to cook his favorite meal. He normally only gets this on his birthday, because together these dishes are time consuming, so he was pretty excited.

First, the chicken strips. The recipe I use is a combination of a few different ones that I've combined and adapted over the years to get to chicken perfection. You can also use this recipe for pieces of bone-in chicken, you just have to either fry the chicken longer, or finish the cooking up in the oven.


Chicken Strips
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 c. flour
2 1/2 T. Lawry's seasoning salt
1 1/2 t. thyme
1 1/2 t. pepper
1 1/2 t. paprika
1 t. poultry seasoning
1 t. cayenne pepper
buttermilk
First, slice up the chicken into strips. Then soak the chicken in buttermilk for a few hours. (I made this for dinner, so I put the chicken in to soak when I woke up in the morning.) When you are ready to cook the chicken, mix the flour and seasonings together in a bowl. Then get out your bowl of chicken. Put your frying pan with oil on to heat. Take your bowl of flour and seasonings and add a few tablespoons of buttermilk and whisk it all together. Then when the oil is ready, take a wet piece of chicken and dip it in the flour mix, coating it all over. Then drop it in the oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. I usually cut into the first one just to make sure there is no pink. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.

The macaroni and cheese is Pioneer Woman's recipe. It is awesome. If you decide to make this, you should take out everything you are going to need before you get started because you are tied to the stove stirring for a good portion of the time it takes to make it. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/04/macaroni-cheese/

The chocolate cake I made is my chocolate sheet cake recipe, but I used a 9 x 13 pan, so it is a little thicker. The recipe is here: http://onepieceofcakeatatime.blogspot.com/2010/11/baking-update.html. I like to make the cake at the same time as the chicken strips because they both use buttermilk. I don't have that many recipes that call for buttermilk.

No comments:

Post a Comment